Jodie's practice encompasses the full spectrum of sexual offences work. She was appointed in January 2017 as a Deputy District Judge (Magistrates’ Court). She is a level 4 CPS and specialist rape prosecutor and is accredited by the Bar Standards Board to act directly on behalf of individuals and organisations under the Public Access Scheme.
Recent cases of note
- R v M (2018): allegation of rape by neighbour in home following consensual sex. Successful opposition to bad character argument. Winchester Crown Court.
- R v Hajhashem (2017): marital rape case. Southampton Crown Court. Successful appeal against sentence.
- R v Everett (2017): historic sexual allegations against an adult known through a church choir. Bournemouth Crown Court.
- R v Marques & others (2016): gang rape case. Portsmouth Crown Court.
- R v W (2016): historic sexual allegations by eight complainants against a former superintendent of a children’s home. Winchester Crown Court.
- R v D (2016): indecent images – allegations against 79-year old defendant relating to images found on his computer. Issues of remote access. Winchester Crown Court.
- R v T (2016): sexual assault – allegations against mother’s previous partner. Bournemouth Crown Court.
- R v C (2015): sexual assault – historical allegations against mother’s previous partner involving a complainant recalling an event when she was only 5 years old. Bournemouth Crown Court.
- R v S (2015): attempted rape – allegations by ex-partner who was suffering with mental health difficulties. Southampton Crown Court.
- R v E (2015): sexual assault – allegations against a friend of the family. Expedited trial due to age of child making the complaint. Southampton Crown Court
- R v Sansom (2015): multiple counts of rape and assault by penetration. Dangerous offender provisions. Bournemouth Crown Court.
- R v R (2014): sexual assault by penetration – allegations by a step-daughter of sexual assault including penetration involving delicate cross-examination of the complainant, particularly since she had been the victim of abuse before at the hands of others. Dorchester Crown Court.
“I instructed Ms Jodie Mittell [for] an eight day trial on allegations of sexual abuse of a young boy by the godfather. Such cases are nearly always difficult both evidentially and procedurally and often develop high emotional currents within the family concerned. This case was no exception. All too often juries will convict when confronted by such atmosphere. The only exceptional aspect to the case in fact was the result – the acquittal of E on all counts – brought about by the remarkable performance of Ms Mittell. These cases are hard to win. And I intend to recommend her to my colleagues.” – Instructing solicitor
“I am retiring but in my 25 years service, in which I have attended Crown Court countless times, I have never come across a barrister working for the CPS who has been as passionate and committed as you. Your knowledge of the case was exemplary, you held your ground at difficult times in the court arena and you even answered e-mails at weekends... I want to wish you all the success in the future. This case may not have been the most exciting but for those vulnerable adults that we have a duty to protect in our society you did a sterling job.” – Investigating police officer
“I would be grateful if it is at all possible that my gratitude and admiration be passed on to Jodie. Ladies like her are few and far between…and what a pleasure it was to meet her even in such circumstances.” – Defendant
“You are probably the best barrister I've worked with, and I have had quite a few cases at Crown Court!” – Investigating police officer
- LLB (Hons) Law, The University of Southampton
- Bar Vocational Course, BPP Law School London
Professional qualifications & appointments
Deputy District Judge (Magistrates Court) 2017
- Inner Temple
- Western Circuit
- Criminal Bar Association
Jodie Mittell is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB criminal barristers awarded Certificate of Congratulations from the Chief Constable of Hampshire
3PB criminal barristers Jodie Mittell and Gemma White awarded Certificate of Congratulations from the Chief Constable of Hampshire following the successful pro...Read more
Successful prosecutions in attempted murder revenge shooting
Three London drug dealers were jailed for more than 30 years each today following unanimous convictions for attempted murder. 3PB Barristers Adam Feest QC, who...Read more
3PB Silk duo Nigel Lickley QC and Adam Feest QC lead five 3PB junior barristers in high profile Dorset murder case
Murder of Guy Hedger. Two men were jailed for life today (23 January) following convictions for murder after an eight week trial at Winchester Crown Court. Se...Read more