Ikeni is a general third six pupil at 3PB with an emphasis on Personal Injury. He regularly appears in Fast Track trials and Small Claims, as well as other hearings including stage 3s, credit hire, and interim applications. He is available to act in possession hearings, regulatory hearings, and winding-up and bankruptcy applications.
Prior to coming to 3PB, Ikeni gained extensive experience in RTA and credit hire cases. He also gained advocacy experience in the Crown and Magistrates Courts and assisted in a range of high-profile cases involving chancery, public, commercial, EU, competition, and sports law. The latter included advising and drafting for matters in the Court of Justice of the European Union, Court of Appeal, High Court, and Employment Tribunal.
Before pupillage, Ikeni completed an internship at a Tier 1 (Chambers and Partners) commercial firm in Southern Africa. He acted as research assistant in EU law at the University of Oxford and organised two conferences for the International Journal of Constitutional Law. He worked on human rights projects including: visiting East Timor to assess the progress of the truth and reconciliation process and special court; conducting preliminary research for the Human Dignity Trust; and assisting in drafting standard operating procedures for the police in Sierra Leone. He also has policy, parliamentary, and IT experience.
Examples of Work
- Winters v Williams: successfully established a claim for personal injury arising from an RTA before a circuit judge in a Fast Track trial.
- Jordan Fuller v Poundworld Retail Ltd: successfully established a claim for personal injury sustained by C while undertaking manual handling at work in a Fast Track trial.
- Denise Neill and ors v TUI Ltd: successfully applied for pre-action disclosure in a holiday sickness claim.
- B&M Pallets Ltd v EUI Ltd: successfully resisted recovery of rental charges for commercial premises in an RTA.
- Kokoruwe v Hirani and Admiral Insurance Company Ltd: represented the insurer in negotiating and resisting the claim for credit hire charges.
- FCA v Fagbulu: acted for the debtor in a bankruptcy petition brought by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Pre-action advice: on the proposed sale of goodwill in an investment management practice, (assisted).
- English Bridge Union and anr v Sport England: advised on challenging a decision by Sport England that bridge does not constitute a sport for funding purposes, (assisted)
- Pre-action advice: on breach of a commercial contract for the installation of an air conditioning system in Dubai, (assisted);
- R v Vass: drafted comprehensive advice in an appeal to the Court of Appeal on a question relating to adverse inferences, (assisted).
- O’Brien v Goldsmith and anr: drafted skeleton argument to strike out particulars of claim in a partnership dispute in the Chancery Division, (assisted).
- Kaukab v Marks and Spencer Plc: drafted particulars of claim in a complex employment matter, (assisted).
- Joe & Co (Hair) Limited v Gavin Cornwell and anr: drafted particulars for breach of equitable and contractual duties of confidentiality, and breach of the Copyright and Rights in Database Regulations, (assisted).
- Leeds United Football Club v Bates: drafted a defence and counterclaim in a claim for breaches of contract and fiduciary duty, (assisted).
- R (on the application of Abbas) v Secretary of State for the Home Department: negotiated costs on behalf of the Secretary of State.
- R v Vasquez: assisted with negotiation in confiscation proceedings on convictions for possession of class A drugs with intent to supply and acquiring or possessing criminal property, (assisted).
- R v Delaney: successfully negotiated for assault charges to be dropped on an agreed basis.
Contributions to Publications
Lewis & Taylor, Sports Law and Practice (BPL 2014)
Updated EU competition law elements in the chapter on Financial Regulation in Sport, (assisted Adam Lewis QC).
D. Vaughan and A. Robertson (eds.), The Law of the EU (OUP 2012)
Assisted in editing the chapter on the institutions of the EU, (assisted Prof Pavlos Eleftheriadis (ed.)).
In his spare time, Ikeni plays canoe polo at a local canoe club. He is also an avid swimmer and enjoys kayaking more generally.
- Free Representation Unit: ‘experienced representative’.
- Oxfam’s Lawyers Against Poverty: developed a pro bono scheme for law firms to support refugees and asylum-seekers.
French: basic comprehension and spoken.
- Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), Keble College, University of Oxford
- Bar Vocational Course (BVC), College of Law, Store Street - Very competent
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), University of Wales, Swansea - First Class Hons, 4th of 233, 83% for Dissertation
Protection for solicitors against direct settlement out of costs when acting under a CFA Lite in RTA Protocol cases
Third six pupil Ikeni Mbako-Allison examines the implication of the Supreme Court's judgement in the case of Gavin Edmondson Solicitors Ltd v Haven Insurance ...Read more