Property and Estates
Hugh-Guy is a property and estates barrister with a keen interest in the interaction of the law of real property with the deeply personal issues of those interested in or affect by property rights.
Hugh-Guy has an academic insight as well to property law and disputes, having achieved a very high distinction in Land Law in the Graduate Diploma in Law, his essay on land registration and indefeasibility being shortlisted for the prize in Land Law. Before coming to the Bar, Hugh-Guy was a funded PhD researcher at Cambridge University (Queens' College) under the supervision of Professor Martin Dixon. His research concentrated on jurisdictional issues concerning the First Tier Property Tribunal Land Registration Division. This has given Hugh-Guy an in-depth understanding of the workings of the first tier tribunal as his research involving detailed study of the cases of the tribunal and its judges.
Hugh-Guy wrote an article on the First Tier Property Tribunal’s Land Registration Division which was published as a case note in the July 2016 edition of the Conveyancer and Property Lawyer.
Recent property and estates cases/advisory work include:
- Multiple possession and rent arrears claims in one judicial list, possession orders and costs granted in all cases
- Assisted in a case involving a possible mistake on the register under schedule 4 of LRA2002, in which a garage was registered in the property register of two different flats
- Order for sale hearing in enforcement of a charging order proceedings under CPR r. 73.10C.
8th Mar 2019
Hugh-Guy Lorriman on Murdoch v Amesbury: Land Registry Adjudication and Jurisdiction
‘This material was first published by Thomson Reuters, trading as Sweet & Maxwell, 5 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5AQ, in Conveyancer and Property Lawyer Conv (2016) No. 4, at pp. 309-317, as ‘Murdoch v Amesbury: Land Registry adjudication and jurisdiction’, Conv (2016) 80 Conv., Issue 4 © Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Limited and Contributors, and is reproduced by agreement with the publishers.
- Sorbonne Paris IV Diplôme
- St. Andrews university (MA Honours, Classics)
- City University, London (Graduate Diploma in Law)
- Cambridge University (PhD student)
- Economic and Social Research Council 2014 PhD research grant
- Nominated for top Officer Cadet of the U.K. Armed Services University Officer Training Corps
Professional qualifications & appointments
- BSB - Forensic Accountancy Course (BPP) 2020
- Bar Practitioner Training Course (City University) 2014
- Civil Mediator (ADR group) 2014
- Chartered Financial Analyst 2005
Personal Injury update published by 3PB
The Personal Injury team has published its latest update including the latest on the Commons amendments regarding the Civil Liability Bill as considered by the ...Read more
Commercial update: Validating service – no special rules for litigants in person
What provides good reason for validating irregular service of a claim form? Hugh-Guy Lorriman analyses the Supreme Court’s most recent contribution to the iss...Read more