- Clerk Name: David Fielder
- Clerk Telephone: 020 7583 8055
- Clerk Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Geraint Jones QC is a leading Silk and specialist commercial law barrister with an emphasis on professional negligence, commercial litigation and fraud.
He enjoys a formidable reputation for his commercial litigation expertise and as a junior was the counsel of choice for the Solicitors Indemnity Fund.
Geraint also sits as a part-time Judge in the First-tier Tribunal Tax Chamber.
Geraint’s core area of practice is professional negligence claims with a particular expertise in claims arising from financial and property transactions against lawyers, conveyancers, surveyors and financial professionals such as accountants and auditors; financial advisers and insolvency practitioners. As junior counsel, Geraint was counsel of choice for the Solicitors Indemnity Fund.
He has extensive experience of lender claims and has been involved in long-running group litigation involving leaseholders in disputes with their landlord; a case of factual and substantial legal complexity.
Geraint is very experienced in handling commercial disputes including fraud, for institutional clients, large and small businesses and individuals. His particular experience extends to:
- – claims arising from loans, mortgages, charges and debentures
- – freezing orders, asset recovery and enforcement of judgments
- – fraud arising from the collapse of the Versailles Group.
- – fixed charge receiverships
- – insolvency, both individual and corporate, especially transaction avoidance
He also has experience of contentious and non-contentious company law matters, including minority shareholder claims and issues arising from articles of association and shareholder agreements. Clients include the likes of Sony UK, Texaco, Associated British Ports and AXA. He has also acted for numerous trade associations and large public sector organisations, including many lpocal authorities, such as The Environment Agency, DEFRA and Land Authority for Wales.
Recent cases include:
- Elbrook Cash & Carry Ltd v H. M. R. C.  UKUT 181 (TCC)
- County Leasing Management Ltd v Hawkes  BCC 102
- Romasave (Property Services) Ltd v HMRC  STC 1
- Brendan Barnes (B.D.O.) v Eastenders plc v C.P.S.  UKSC 26
- Brendan Barnes (B.D.O.) v Eastenders plc v C.P.S.  1 WLR 1494
- Eastenders plc v H.M.R.C.  1 WLR 1494 (statutory construction CEMA’79)
- Eastenders Cash & Carry Ltd v H.M.R.C. (2011) UKFTT 25 (TC)
- R v H.M.R.C. ex parte Eastenders Cash & Carry Ltd (2011) 1 WLR 488
- Goldberg v Foster Squires  EWHC 450 - partners liable for fraud of a partner
- Carter v Cole (2009) 33 E.G. 66 (derogation from grant)
- Greening & Sykes Ltd v Nelson & Hanley The Times 22/1/08 (status of intervening bare trustee)
- Nelson v Clearsprings Management Ltd (2007) 1 WLR 962
- Awoyomi v Radford (2007) EWHC 1671 (retrospectivity of Hall v Simons)
- HSS Hire Services PLC v BMB Builders Merchants Ltd (2005) EWCA Civ 627 (costs to be reserved until damages assessed where there was a split trial and a payment in had been made)
- Clowes Developments Ltd v Walters (2005) 17 EG 123 (adverse possession)
- Mercantile & Credit plc v Marks (2005) Ch 81, (2004) 3 WLR 489 (sub-charges)
- Richardson v Howie (2004) EWCA Civ 1127 (aggravated damages for assault abolished)
- Alpha Lettings Ltd v Neptune Research & Development Inc (2003) EWCA Civ 704 (period of notice to terminate an exclusive distributorship agreement)
- White v Chubb (2002) 1 P&CR Digest 22
- UCB v Williams (2002) 2 P&CR Digest 33 (C/A : BCCI v Aboody not followed on causation in actual undue influence cases)
- Havenledge v Graeme John & Ptnrs (2001) PNLR
- Ford v GKR Construction (2000) 1 WLR 1097
- Jesus College, Cambridge
Professional qualifications & appointments
• Recorder - Crime and Civil
• Part-time Judge of the Tax Tribunal
• Part-time Judge of the Immigration Tribunal
• Statutory Reviewer of Decisions by the Director of Fair Access (Dept. of Education and Skills)
• Arbitrator for the Motor Insurers' Bureau
• Arbitrator, International Court of Arbitration for Sport, Switzerland
• Chairman of the Disciplinary Appeal Tribunal of the British Parachuting Association
• Ad hoc Arbitrator at the Commonwealth Games 2014
- Chancery Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association (PNBA)
Geraint Jones QC is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Access (or Public Access) scheme.More Information