Georgina is a Pupil Barrister, concentrating on civil and commercial litigation, at 3PB in London. As an enthusiastic lawyer and linguist, she is bilingual in English and German, speaks French fluently, and enjoys the linguistic, cross-cultural and comparative law challenges of working internationally.
Before commencing pupillage, she worked as a Compliance Advisory and Assurance Specialist for Ireland and Germany at Canada Life Assurance Europe. Georgina has worked in consultancies in Switzerland and the U.K. (Ernst & Young), in law firms (Linklaters LLP, Baker Botts LLP) and international organisations (NATO) in Belgium, as well as the County Court in the U.K.
Commerciality/ Client care
Georgina exemplifies an intercultural aptitude, pragmatism and empathetic approach suitable to a diverse client base. Having worked closely with local and foreign solicitors, frontline sales staff and business consultants, Georgina has an excellent grasp of the commercial reality clients operate in. Her commitment to a high standard of confidentiality is supported by her valid and ongoing NATO security clearance.
As a legal intern in the global US law firm Baker Botts LLP, Georgina demonstrated a strong work ethic and can-do attitude when making herself available 7 days a week to draft updates for clients on EU sanctions legislation (Ukraine/ Russia) and to carry out research on the proposed $35 bn oilfield services merger Halliburton/Baker Hughes.
At Linklaters LLP, Georgina learned to familiarise herself quickly with a variety of industries and sectors that were new to her, including automotive, banking, cocoa, construction, pharmaceuticals, and sparkling wine.
Georgina assisted with the research, legal analysis and drafting of the written observations in German and English in the reported consumer contract case C‑191/15 Verein für Konsumenteninformation v Amazon EU Sàrl and accompanied counsel for Amazon to the hearing of the reference for a preliminary ruling in the Court of Justice of the European Union in Luxembourg.
As an Advocate Georgina held client conferences and appeared in front of judges in the county court where she developed her resilience to both time and financial pressures. She marshalled HHJ Halbert in RTA/PI cases in the Chester Civil Justice Centre and visited Lord Reed in the UK Supreme Court where she observed the public law case of Aster Communities Ltd v Akerman-Livingstone  EWCA Civ 108.
In the fraud investigation and dispute services team at Ernst & Young (EY), Georgina carried out quality control reviews on an e-discovery project concerning the bribery of foreign officials under the DOJ/SEC enforced Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) in the pharmaceutical sector.
Essays and Publications
- The Role of the Compliance Professional as the Voice of the Consumer, Niall Gallagher Scholarship, Association of Compliance Officers Dublin, 2018
- 2012 NATO Legal Conference Report, The Military Law and the Law of War Review, 2013
- Can NATO contribute to Nation Building? NATO Rule of Law Field Support Mission – The aims and goals of a mission establishing the Rule of Law in Afghanistan, NATO Legal Gazette, 2013
- A Single System of Authentication, NATO Archives Committee, 2012
- Britain & the European Economic Recovery, BPP Business Brief, 2012
- PgDip in EU Law, King’s College London, 2019 (Distinction)
- LLM in Advanced Legal Practice, Bristol Law School, UWE, 2016 (Distinction)
- PgDip, Bar Professional Training Course, Bristol Law School, UWE, 2014 (Very Competent)
- Master of Letters in International Security Studies, University of St Andrews, 2011 (MLitt)
- BA in Politics and Law, University of Bradford, 2010 (First-Class Honours)
- Certificat d’Etudes Politiques, Sciences Po, IEP, France, 2009 (Mention Bien)
- Abitur, Deutsche Schule London, 2007
- Niall Gallagher Scholarship, Association of Compliance Officers Dublin, Ireland 2018
- BPTC Major Scholarship, The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple, 2013
- Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Award, The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple, 2013
- Summer Institute for Mutual Respect, Scholarship, Yale Center for Faith & Culture, Yale University, USA 2010
- Liaison Officer Scholarship, BPP Law School, 2010
- Robert Alexander Travel Award, Monash University Exchange, Italy, 2009
- Brussels European Forum, Sponsorship, Sciences Po, 2009
- Erasmus Competition Winner, British Council, 2009
- Robert Alexander Travel Award, Erasmus, France, 2008
- Inner Temple
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- ADR Group accredited Civil and Commercial Mediator
- Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland
- NATO School Legal Adviser Course
Working in the UK construction industry during the coronavirus pandemic
Georgina Dietrich, a pupil barrister at 3PB, writes about the practical and legal challenges facing those working in the construction sector during the current ...Read more