Court of Protection
Emma's practice in the fields of Education Law and Personal Injury Law has, in recent years, led her to advise on matters of capacity and issues involving the Court of Protection.
She has a particularly strong interest in:
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding
- Issues surrounding consent to medical treatment
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
Having previously worked in the care industry and in special schools, Emma has a unique insight into questions of care and capacity. She recently delivered a talk on the Care Act 2015 and its interplay with the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
She is happy to take instructions from local authorities or individuals.
- Re MD: acting on behalf of the Official Solicitor in relation to an application to revoke an LPA and appoint a Welfare Deputy
- Re ALS: acting on behalf of the Official Solicitor in respect of challenge to a standard authorisation which deprived P of his liberty
- Re FL: acting on behalf of the Applicant who was seeking to oppose the registration of an LPA which had been purportedly obtained by duress
- Re RB: judicial review proceedings, challenging a local authority's decision that the Applicant was not eligible for care and assistance under the Care Act 2014.
‘Does a very good job even in difficult circumstances.’
Legal 500 2020/Leading Individual – Education
- BPTC (BPP Law School, 2010-2011) – Outstanding
- GDL (BPP Law School, 2009-2010)
- BA (Hons) Politics (St Chad’s College, University of Durham)
- Harmsworth and Astbury Scholar, Middle Temple
- Certificate of Honour, Middle Temple
- Ian Graham Award for outstanding contribution to student life, University of Durham
Professional qualifications & appointments
- ADR Group Accredited Mediator
- Education Law Association (ELAS)
- Member of the Association of Women Barristers
- Personal Injury Bar Association (PIBA)
Emma Waldron is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Two 3PB barristers contribute to 'Lockdown Lawyers' - an anthology of poetry
David Richards and Emma Waldron are among the contributors to 'Lockdown Lawyers'; an anthology of poetry on how the COVID-19 crisis has hit legal aid lawyers ...Read more
3PB's Emma Waldron successfully appeals OFSTED decision on child-minder
3PB’s education law specialist barrister Emma Waldron has successfully supported a child-minder at the First-tier Tribunal in the decision of Mrs LR (A) v Ofs...Read more
3PB’s Emma Waldron successful at The Lawyer Monthly Awards 2019
Education, clinical negligence and court of protection barrister Emma Waldron was today recognised as one of a handful of UK lawyers winning a Women in Law awa...Read more