Elisabeth is a highly experienced criminal advocate with over 20 years experience, known for her clear and persuasive advocacy, her approachable nature and meticulous attention to detail.
Elisabeth undertakes cases which range from murder, large scale drug operations, multi-handed fraud and international money laundering cases, and cases of historic serious sexual offences, violence and gun crimes.
She has been a Grade 4 prosecutor since 2007 and is on the Rape and Serious Sexual Offences Panel for the Western and Midlands Circuits. She is often instructed to prosecute operations for Complex Casework Units and finds working as a team very rewarding.
As a Defence advocate she is known for her considerate and positive approach, her sensitivity, her understanding the client’s perspective and for ensuring that no stone is left unturned.
Elisabeth also sits as a Recorder in the Crown Court, a Deputy District Judge in the County/Family Courts and as an Assistant Coroner in West Sussex and East London.
Elisabeth is accredited by the Bar Standard Board to act directly on behalf of individuals and organisations under the Public Access Scheme. She is appointed to the Specialist Regulatory Advocates in H&S and Environmental Law List.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
- Prosecuting BA pilot in relation to serious sexual offences committed in the UK and abroad
- Leading junior prosecuting a large scale international money laundering offences
- Prosecuting a case at the Central Criminal Courts concerning attempted importation of hand grenades via the Dark Web
- Prosecuting a three handed money laundering and class A drug distribution conspiracy at Kingston Crown Court
- Defending carer accused of injury to patient detained under a Deprivation of Liberty Order
- Defending client accused of neglect of and theft from four individuals in his care
- Defending in an attempted murder concerning a child
- Prosecuting an attempted murder relating to discharge of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence aimed at three women in a public place
- Appointed by Registrar of Criminal Appeals to take over the Defence of an appeal against conviction in historic rape case, successful in having conviction quashed and then securing acquittal in re-trial
- Prosecuting several large scale immigration fraud and sham marriages operations involving multiple defendants
- Leading junior prosecuting three mortgage fraud and money laundering operations involving multiple Defendants
- Prosecuting £2 million “Anwoir” money laundering case
- Leading Junior in prosecution of international drug importation case involving £60million of Class A drugs.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Elisabeth is a highly experienced criminal advocate with over 20 years experience in that area and is known for her clear and persuasive court room advocacy, her sensitive handling of cases and understanding the needs of her clients, whatever the case may be.
She also accepts instructions to appear at Inquests. For over five years she has sat as a part-time coroner which has included sitting in three different parts of the country (West Sussex, East London and Birmingham). In that role she had held over 200 inquests relating all manner of unexpected, untimely and unnatural deaths.
She has conducted significant inquests touching upon work related (Health and Safety) deaths with a Jury and with multiple parties represented by leading counsel in their field. She has conducted a number of Article 2 deaths, in particular those relating to deaths in custody or confinement, a number of which have involved custody in a Mental Health Institution. She has held many inquests into deaths which touch upon medical procedures, inquests raising issues of clinical negligence, infant deaths, suicides and roast traffic collisions.
As a result of sitting as a Coroner and the detailed training that is involved with that position, Elisabeth has gained invaluable insight and knowledge in this field.
She also sits as a Recorder in the Crown Court, Deputy District Judge hearing civil claims and has now further been appointed as a part time judge to the First Tier Tribunal (Mental Health).
In order to assist with coronial work, Elisabeth has undertaken a diploma course in Forensic Medical Science.
Elisabeth is accredited by the Bar Standard Board to act directly on behalf of individuals and organisations under the Public Access Scheme.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Elisabeth is a highly experienced advocate with over 20 years experience in practice and is known for her clear and persuasive court room advocacy, her approachable nature and meticulous attention to detail. She has undertaken the most serious of criminal cases including multi-defendant and multi-agency prosecutions between Complex Case Work (CPS) and the Border Agency, significant cases of fraud, murder and manslaughter and cases which involve public profile. She prosecutes and defends in equal measure and has been on the highest grade specialist list of prosecutors for over 10 years .
She comes to regulatory work from the unusual route of having sat in various judicial positions in that field rather than being an advocate in that area first.
She sits as a Recorder in the Crown Court dealing with all manner of criminal cases (including environmental crimes). She sits as a Deputy District Judge hearing civil cases which have included building cases and regulatory breaches.
She has five years experience of being a part time coroner during which time she had held over 200 inquests which include those which touch upon deaths in custody, deaths which have an association with medical treatment and Health and Safety deaths. She has worked as a part time Coroner in three separate jurisdictions (West Sussex, East London and Birmingham).
Elisabeth has sat as a lay member on the Investigations Committee for the General Dental Council for three years determining purely regulatory matters.
She has also been appointed to sit as a part time Judge in the First Tier Tribunal (Mental Health).
She is currently engaged on an EU funded project in West Africa to draft a manual for the prosecution of environmental criminal offences.
Pursuing a life long interest, she is also about to embark upon a Masters in Law in Maritime Law (incorporating environmental law subjects).
She has recently concluded a very significant Trading Standards case where she appeared as leading junior for the central Defendant in a prosecution that had been commenced in 2012 and involved the actions of 5 companies trading within the holiday and leisure industry.
Elisabeth is a trained civil/commercial mediator and has studied a diploma course in Forensic Medical Science.
She has been a trainer for the Bar Counsel for four years running regulatory courses and regularly gives talks to fellow professionals on recent changes in Criminal Law.
She speaks Swedish and Spanish.
"Tenacious, determined and highly effective."
Legal 500 2020/Crime - Tier 1
"Steadfast and compelling; an excellent advocate."
Legal 500 2018/19/Crime - Tier 1
- 1997 – Called to the Bar England and Wales (Inner Temple)
- 1994 – Admitted as a Solicitor in England & Wales
- 1992 – Admitted as a Barrister of the High Court of Australia, Federal Court of Australia and Supreme Court of Western Australia
- Bachelor of Jurisprudence (B Juris) and Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Recorder of the Crown Court
- Deputy District Judge (Civil)
- Assistant Coroner
- Previous member on the Investigation Committee: General Dental Council (Chairperson and lay member)
- Civil and Commercial Mediator
- Specialist Regulatory Advocates in H&S and Environmental Law List
Elisabeth Bussey-Jones is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Three 3PB Barristers appointed to the list of Specialist Regulatory Advocates in Health and Safety and Environmental Law
National chambers 3PB Barristers is delighted to announce the appointment of three of its barristers to the list of Specialist Regulatory Advocates in Health an...Read more
Personal Injury update published by 3PB
The Personal Injury team has published its latest update including the latest on the Commons amendments regarding the Civil Liability Bill as considered by the ...Read more
3PB Barristers trio represents defendants in UK largest conspiracy to drone-deliver drugs to prisons
3PB Barristers, Nick Cotter, Elisabeth Bussey-Jones and Adam Norris, have represented defendants in Birmingham Crown Court in relation to a conspiracy to bring...Read more