David is a criminal law specialist based in Winchester. As a prosecutor he undertakes all types of work, and had been instructed in cases involving murder, conspiracy to defraud and serious sexual offences. His defence practice involves a similarly wide range of work. Recent instructions have included cases involving multiple counts of historic sexual abuse, conspiracy to supply controlled drugs and money laundering, and serious violence. He has also regularly represented defendants with severe learning difficulties and psychiatric disorders.
- R v Bible - murder
- R v Brooks and others ('Operation Crossbow') - multi-handed historic sexual abuse; two defendants found unfit to stand trial; successful appeal of judge's preparatory ruling which enabled trial of issue of main defendant (who was unfit) to be dealt with by same jury trying other defendants
- R v Burton - successful appeal out of time, citing fresh evidence. Subsequent retrial on counts alleging anal rape and serious sexual assaults on a child
- R v Chivers - autistic 16 year old charged with GBH with intent
- R v D'Arcy and others - conspiracy to burgle
- R v Howarth - defendant with severe psychiatric disorder charged with serious sexual offence
- R v Kennett - defences of self-defence and necessity successfully run in tandem on trial for causing GBH with intent (using car as weapon) and dangerous driving
- R v Simon-Michael - advanced fee fraud, multiple victims worldwide induced to invest many millions of pounds in non-existent projects or to help others; complicated banking trail existed with many transfers and withdrawals; accounts used worldwide; foreign enquiries particularly in Africa; lengthy confiscation hearings - hidden assets found to exist
- R v Smith and others - multi-handed conspiracy to supply controlled drugs and money laundering
- R v Smyth - murder
- R v Storey and others - multi-handed GBH with intent
- R v Wallace - defendant charged with sexual offences against five children from his extended family
- R v White and others - multi-indictment, multi-handed conspiracy to defraud at H.M. Naval Base, Portsmouth
- R v White and others - multi-handed violent disorder
- R v Wright - defendant with severe learning difficulties charged with sexual offences against a child.
A respected practitioner whose general crime practice sees him both defend and prosecute a wide range of matters. His recent work includes instruction in murder cases, serious sexual offences and drug-related crimes. He regularly represents defendants with severe learning difficulties and psychiatric disorders.
Acted for the prosecution in R v Nunn and Jelley, a case relating to a multimillion-pound Ponzi scheme.
Chambers UK 2019/Crime
'A respected practitioner whose general crime practice sees him both defend and prosecute a wide range of matters. His recent work includes instruction in murder cases, serious sexual offences and drug-related crimes. He regularly represents defendants with severe learning difficulties and psychiatric disorders.'
Strengths: "He is a hugely knowledgeable, excellent lawyer." "His trial skills are of a high standard."
Chambers UK 2018/Crime
"The right man for a very serious case."
Chambers UK 2017/Crime
'A Winchester-based criminal advocate who both defends and prosecutes in cases concerning murder, conspiracy to defraud and serious sexual offences.
Strengths: "He has a pleasant manner and a smooth, understanding advocacy style."'
Chambers UK 2016/Crime
'Has extensive experience across the full breadth of serious crime work. His caseload regularly includes cases relating to homicides, serious sexual offences and GBH.
Expertise: "He has a great presence in court." "He grasps the technical aspects of the case very quickly."'
Chambers UK 2015/Crime
'both advises and appears in a wide range of criminal cases, including those concerning serious sexual assaults, murder and GBH. His masterful handling of witnesses makes him a favourite for cases involving vulnerable individuals, such as minors.
Expertise: “He is a very safe pair of hands and has a charming personality. He is often the best choice when trying to get good evidence out of vulnerable people. He is very thorough in his preparation.”'
Chambers UK 2014/Crime
‘Very experienced in serious crime cases.’
Legal 500 2018/19/Crime – Leading juniors - Tier 1
‘An accomplished and compassionate advocate.’
Legal 500 2017/Crime – Leading juniors
'He has a terrific work ethic and is extremely bright.'
Legal 500 2016/Crime – Leading juniors
'He prosecutes and defends, and has particular experience in representing defendants with learning difficulties'
Legal 500 2015/Crime – Leading juniors
'Experienced in a range of serious cases, including sexual offences, murder, fraud and money laundering.'
Legal 500 2014/Crime
- BA(Hons) (Oxon)
- Criminal Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Nigel Lickley QC leading David Reid represented GS who pleaded guilty to Infanticide
Nigel Lickley QC leading David Reid represented GS who pleaded guilty to Infanticide following the death of her child at birth in April 2016. GS who was origina...Read more