David Parratt QC (Scot)Download Expertise CV Add Expertise to CV Shortlist
Neutrals - Arbitrators
- Contractor v Sub-contractors (Seat, Abu Dhabi, ADCCAC) (2019) Arbitration in respect of development works in a large Infrastructure project. (Co-arbitrator).
- X v Y (Scottish Seat, Ad hoc) Dispute in relation to the sums liable under a Full Repairing and Insuring Commercial Lease between two commercial entities based in Scotland. (2019) Arbitrator.
- International Credit Card Company v. Debtor (English Seat, Ad hoc) Documents only arbitration in respect of debt. (2019) Arbitrator.
- Litigation Funder v. Professional Body (Scottish Seat, Ad hoc) Dispute in relation to sums claimed under the Late Payments of Commercial Debt Regulations. (2019) Counsel.
- A Scottish Company v US Oil Major (London Seat, LCIA) (2017-2018) £6m claim against an oil major in respect of outstanding invoices for hire of oil and gas equipment and claims in respect of infringement of IP Rights. Counsel
- Contractors v Scottish Government in respect of M73 Motorway Spur Construction Dispute Adjudication (2018) Counsel
- Queensferry Bridge Crossing Adjudication (2018) Counsel to Adjudicator
- B Borough Council and HG Limited (London Seat) (2017) Arbitration under ICE Rules in respect of failure of design of coastal defences. Counsel to Arbitral Panel.
- Challenge to a Decision on Jurisdiction on a point of law on the effect of section 10 of the Arbitration (Scotland) Act 2010. (2016) Dunfermline Sheriff Court Whether party had waived its contractual right to arbitration by participating in court proceedings. Counsel
- Japanese Contractor v Turkish Sub-contractor (Seat, Geneva, ICC) 2013-2015 Arbitration in connection with a very large railway infrastructure project in Istanbul. Counsel.
- Arbitration Application No. 2 of 2013 – Challenge to Decision of an Arbitrator under rules 68 (serious irregularity) and 69 (legal error appeal). Court of Session, Commercial Court. Counsel
- Iranian JV Partner v US JV Partner (Seat, Dubai, DIFC) 2011-2013 Dispute between two JV partners following hostile takeover of shareholding in Iranian Company. Counsel
- Windfarm Operator against Windfarm Off-Shore Installation Company. (Seat, London, Ad hoc) (2010) Claim by Windfarm operator in respect of professional negligence and defective cementing of turbine pylons in respect of an offshore windfarm. Counsel.
Arbitral Institutional Panels
- Member of the ICC
- Member of the LCIA
- Panel Member of the CIArb (Scottish Branch) Panel of Arbitrators
- Member of the Hong Kong Arbitration Panel (HKIAC)
- Member of the Asian International Arbitration Panel (AIAC)
- Member of the Cairo Arbitration Panel (CRCICA)
- Member of the WIPO Panel (Geneva)
- Member of the Dubai International Arbitration Centre List (DIAC)
- Member of the CIArb London President’s Panel
- Member of the Juris Roster of International Arbitrators
- LLB (Hons) University of Aberdeen (1992)
- DipLP (University of Aberdeen) (1993)
- PhD (University of Edinburgh) (2004)
- DipICArb (Chartered Institute of Arbitrators) (2008)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Honorary Professor of International Arbitration, School of Law, University of Aberdeen. (January 2017-to date)
- Co-Director of the Aberdeen University International Arbitration Summer School (2017 – to date)
- Visiting Lecturer, International Commercial Arbitration, and Oil and Gas Dispute Resolution, University of Aberdeen (2016-17)
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, International Construction Law and Arbitration, British University in Dubai (BUiD) (2010 - 15)
- Honorary Research Fellow, International Dispute Resolution, School of Law, University of Dundee (2008-2015)
- Honorary Lecturer, International Arbitration, Centre for Petroleum, Minerals, Law and Policy, (CEPMLP) University of Dundee (2007-10)
- Freeman of The Worshipful Company of Arbitrators
- Fellow of the Royal Historical Society (FRHistS)
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (FSAScot)
- Fellow of the Society of Legal Scholars (SLS)
- Member of the School of Advanced Legal Studies (FSALS)
- Member of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL)
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- The Faculty of Advocates
- The Bar of Northern Ireland
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- The Arbitration Club (Oil & Gas Chapter)
Faculty of Advocates’ Positions
- Member of various Committees including: Faculty Council (2003-6; 2012-17)
- Curator of the Advocates Library (2005-8)
- Quality Assistance Panel Working Group(2015-7)
- Quality Assurance Scheme for Advocates (2016 - present)
- The Training Committee (2012-present)
- Scheme for Fees Committee (2014); Board of Assessors (2012 -present)
- CPD Reorganisation Committee (2016-7)
- Malawi Pro Bono Group (2014); International Committee (2016-present)
- Faculty Arbitration Group and Board member of the Faculty Dispute Resolution Service (FDRS) (2008-present)
- Special adviser to the Personal Injury Arbitration Group (2016-present).
Director of Training and Education, with responsibility for the training of devils in written and oral advocacy and for ongoing training of members of Faculty in advocacy skills and for the Quality Assurance Assessment. (2012-2017)
Advocacy Trainer and Assessor of Advocate Assessors for the Faculty Quality