Construction and engineering
David Parratt QC has a considerable practice as an advocate and arbitrator in arbitration, construction & engineering claims, and energy disputes (including oil/gas upstream claims).
He is recognised as one of the leading Silks in Scotland in arbitration, in both international and domestic arbitrations (Scottish and English seats).
He has acted as counsel in a range of international cases under various institutional rules. David is a member of the ICC, the LCIA, the CIArb (Scottish Branch) Panel of Arbitrators, the Hong Kong Arbitration Panel (HKIAC), member of the Asian International Arbitration Panel (AIAC), the Cairo Arbitration Panel (CRCICA), the WIPO Panel (Geneva), the Dubai International Arbitration Centre List (DIAC), the CIArb London President’s Panel and the Juris Roster of International Arbitrators.
Please see his profile under arbitration to see some recent and representative cases.
- LLB (Hons) University of Aberdeen (1992)
- DipLP (University of Aberdeen) (1993)
- PhD (University of Edinburgh) (2004)
- DipICArb (Chartered Institute of Arbitrators) (2008)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Honorary Professor of International Arbitration, School of Law, University of Aberdeen. (January 2017-to date)
- Co-Director of the Aberdeen University International Arbitration Summer School (2017 – to date)
- Visiting Lecturer, International Commercial Arbitration, and Oil and Gas Dispute Resolution, University of Aberdeen (2016-17)
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, International Construction Law and Arbitration, British University in Dubai (BUiD) (2010 - 15)
- Honorary Research Fellow, International Dispute Resolution, School of Law, University of Dundee (2008-2015)
- Honorary Lecturer, International Arbitration, Centre for Petroleum, Minerals, Law and Policy, (CEPMLP) University of Dundee (2007-10)
- Freeman of The Worshipful Company of Arbitrators
- Fellow of the Royal Historical Society (FRHistS)
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (FSAScot)
- Fellow of the Society of Legal Scholars (SLS)
- Member of the School of Advanced Legal Studies (FSALS)
- Member of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL)
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- The Faculty of Advocates
- The Bar of Northern Ireland
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- The Arbitration Club (Oil & Gas Chapter)
Faculty of Advocates’ Positions
- Member of various Committees including: Faculty Council (2003-6; 2012-17)
- Curator of the Advocates Library (2005-8)
- Quality Assistance Panel Working Group(2015-7)
- Quality Assurance Scheme for Advocates (2016 - present)
- The Training Committee (2012-present)
- Scheme for Fees Committee (2014); Board of Assessors (2012 -present)
- CPD Reorganisation Committee (2016-7)
- Malawi Pro Bono Group (2014); International Committee (2016-present)
- Faculty Arbitration Group and Board member of the Faculty Dispute Resolution Service (FDRS) (2008-present)
- Special adviser to the Personal Injury Arbitration Group (2016-present).
Director of Training and Education, with responsibility for the training of devils in written and oral advocacy and for ongoing training of members of Faculty in advocacy skills and for the Quality Assurance Assessment. (2012-2017)
Advocacy Trainer and Assessor of Advocate Assessors for the Faculty Quality