Property and Estates
Andrew has a broad property and land practice and regularly accepts instructions in relation to the following:
- Disputes concerning property ownership and rights generally in respect of registered and unregistered land, including co-ownership disputes
- Boundary disputes – regularly including issues as to adverse possession
- Easements and their infringement: recent cases have included rights of light, rights of way, rights in respect of utilities and rights relating to the provision of a private water supply
- Prescriptive, implied and express rights
- Party Wall Act disputes
- Leasehold and freehold covenants
- Trusts of land
- Inheritance Act claims
- Conveyancing and land registration problems
- Professional negligence in connection with property transactions (solicitors and surveyors)
- mortgages and LPA receivers
Landlord and tenant:
- Private sector and public housing
- Residential and commercial
- Commercial lease renewals
- Claims for possession
- Leasehold enfranchisement
- Service charge disputes
- Mobile Homes Act agreements – breach, termination and possession actions
- Disputed deposit scheme cases
- Licences – disputed leases / termination
Regularly receives instructions from both professional and direct access clients. He is frequently engaged in property and commercial disputes, and also regularly handles defamation matters.
"A commercial and pragmatic lawyer with strong advocacy skills."
Chambers UK 2019/Commercial Dispute Resolution - Band 2
Strengths: "He is the gentleman that I would always go to - it is very nice to work with him." "He has excellent all-round knowledge of commercial litigation and he's very client-friendly."
Chambers UK 2018/Commercial Dispute Resolution - Band 2
Strengths: "His key strength is advocacy; he is very quick off the mark and has a real presence in the courtroom. He is able to control witnesses well and produces arguments that are very comprehensive." "He is good at handling large cases and takes in vast amounts of information quickly."'
Chambers UK 2017/Commercial Dispute Resolution - Band 2
'Acts in a variety of commercial, property and defamation disputes. He draws praise from instructing solicitors for his fantastic client care skills.
"He is patient, thoughtful and thorough. His advocacy is unfazed and unflustered. He has a good business background, which reflects in the way he approaches cases. He understands the business needs of clients."'
Chambers UK 2016/Commercial Dispute Resolution - Band 2
'Deals with a range of disputes including contract, property, landlord and tenant, and defamation.
"He's extremely thorough: he doesn't miss a trick. He is very bold in picking up
the issues, gives very commercially oriented advice and leaves no stone unturned." "He's very good on his feet, has good client handling skills and is easy to deal with."'
Chambers UK 2015/Commercial Dispute Resolution - Band 1
'handles sale of goods and supply of services issues, and contracts of
guarantee and indemnity. He has particular expertise in contractual disputes.
“He has outstanding attention to detail, cuts to the chase very quickly, is good at
cross-examination, handles witnesses well and has great authority in the courtroom.”
“He’s very user-friendly and approachable, and speaks in a language that clients understand.”'
Chambers UK 2014/Commercial Dispute Resolution - Band 1
‘Well known for handling a broad range of property matters.’
Legal 500 2018/19/Property - Tier 1
'Noted for his extensive expertise in contractual disputes.'
Legal 500 2018/19/Commercial - Tier 1
‘He has a genuine talent at communicating complicated facts in straightforward terms.’
Legal 500 2017/Regional Bar, Property – Leading juniors.
‘Very experienced in contractual disputes.’
Legal 500 2017/Regional Bar, commercial, banking and insolvency – Leading juniors.
'He has an eye for detail, and an excellent ability to communicate with solicitors and clients.'
Legal 500 2016/Regional Bar, commercial, banking and insolvency and also Property – Leading juniors.
'He has a very pragmatic approach, and finds clever solutions to disputes.'
Legal 500 2015/Regional Bar, commercial, banking and insolvency and also Property – Leading juniors.
'A commercial barrister, with good client handling skills.'
Legal 500 2014.
- MA (Oxon)
- Dip Law (College of Law)
Andrew Sheriff is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information