Richard regularly acts in defamation, privacy and data protection cases. He regularly advises in relation to all aspects of defamation cases, including territorial jurisdiction, serious harm, and the appropriate ‘Chase’ levels. In addition, Richard advised potential defendants in relation to the various defences open to them, and the level of likely damages.
In the last year, he has advised in over 150 potential defamation actions, including:
- For an individual against a newspaper in relation to a prominent sportsperson.
- For a food business against a newspaper in relation to its reporting of Food Hygiene awards.
- For numerous people in respect of social media posts.
- For an individual accused of making a false allegations of sexual assault.
- For a politician in relation to election campaign materials.
- Against an international sportsman in respect of false allegations of infidelity.
- Against an ex-spouse in relation to false allegations posted on a hacked website.
- Against a lawyer who accused an individual of criminality.
- Against a broadcasting company in respect of a documentary about a Peer.
- In respect of false reviews posted on consumer sites.
- In respect of allegations arising from the ‘Occupy’ protest as St Paul’s.
- In respect of allegations arising from an international body building competition.
- In respect of allegations made during the course of a council meeting.
Richard can receive instructions on a direct access basis.
Suresh v Samad & a others  EWHC 76 (QB)
Defamation - Hearing of an application to strike out and or summary judgment of a defence.